The mission of Wild Salmon Center is to promote the conservation and sustainable use of wild salmon ecosystems across the Pacific Rim. We identify science-based solutions to sustain wild salmonids and the human communities and livelihoods that depend on them.
Wild Salmon Center is an international organization with programmatic activities in the Russian Far East, Japan, Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and California. The home office is located in Portland, Oregon in the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center.
Work with Us
Reports to: President& CEO / Executive Vice-President
The Executive Assistant provides administrative support to the President & CEO and, as needed, to the Executive Vice President. This position is envisioned as full-time regular, nonexempt salaried position. S/he is responsible for ensuring that executive logistics are effectively handled on a day to day basis. S/he will also provide support for the Board of Directors and Board Committee meetings and communications, and serve as the liaison between the Executive and major donor supporters and Board members. The ideal candidate will be able to adapt to a fast-paced environment within a moment’s notice, remain professional at all times, and work well independently and collaboratively.
- Maintain and coordinate the CEO’s calendar, including scheduling meetings, and resolving scheduling conflicts.
- Organize all travel including donor-related trips (both international and domestic) including maintaining passport and visa status.
- Take accurate, complete notes on verbal reports from the CEO and maintain a follow-up system with actions items and due dates.
- Ensures the CEO’s IT and communications tools are up to date and meeting on-going needs.
- Perform accurate and complete data entry into Raiser’s Edge, maintaining accurate records, improving the quality of the data, and following and improving data entry and other database procedures.
- Proactively draft and format thank you letters and other correspondence for review and signature.
- Receive, screen and prioritize communications to the CEO, including phone calls and e-mail messages; and assist in the execution and implementation of Board meetings and follow ups.
- Assist in the preparation of presentations and reports for meetings, and the planning and material development for conferences and Board meetings, including taking the Minutes and conducting Board candidate research.
- Responsible for the update and distribution of the annual Board Handbook, and new member and Emeritus orientation.
- Prepare check requests and travel advances, compile receipts and submit expense reports and reimbursements for the Executive team, and work with Finance to ensure accurate expense tracking.
- Track personal time off for the CEO and relay information to Human Resources.
- Contributing member of the Development and Administration team, including receiving and sending mail, phone reception, organizational events, and programmatic projects.
- Other tasks, as needed.
Position Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience supporting senior executives, preferably within a nonprofit.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Advanced MS Office, Google Apps, Raiser’s Edge, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated experience with Board of Directors’ correspondence, functions and meetings.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong command of the English language, both verbal and written.
- Ability to travel for meetings and events, as needed.
- Familiarity with salmon conservation issues or fly fishing, a plus.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line.
Volunteer with Us
Want to make a difference in protecting some of the most beautiful and diverse ecosystems across the northern Pacific Rim? Check out our volunteer page.