The mission of the Wild Salmon Center (WSC) is to promote the conservation and sustainable use of wild salmon ecosystems across the Pacific Rim. We do this by establishing a local presence and/or providing technical and financial assistance to local partners to help them secure the health of the most productive salmon ecosystems on earth. We depend on the best conservation science to guide pragmatic, implementable solutions to sustain wild salmonids, as well as the human communities and livelihoods that depend on them.
Wild Salmon Center is an international organization with programs in Alaska, British Columbia, the Western Pacific, and the California, Oregon and Washington coasts. The home office is located in Portland, Oregon in the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center.
WSC is the leading group working to protect the strongest wild salmon rivers around the North Pacific – salmon strongholds. We focus on wild salmon because they are an iconic and powerful conservation symbol, wild to the core, with an incredible life story. When you protect salmon, you support the life of whole watersheds and everything in them, including people. We build alliances with and work alongside the most effective local and regional partners in the North Pacific.
WILD SALMON CENTER IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Senior Communications Manager
Reports to: Communications Director
Wild Salmon Center is at a unique moment in our history, as we build on successful decades-long campaigns across the North Pacific that are creating durable protections for salmon stronghold rivers, with benefits for surrounding ecosystems and communities. Strong communications will continue to drive our organizational growth and conservation success. WSC is looking for an emerging communications expert with campaign and digital marketing experience who can leverage data to optimize our content, sharpen our campaigns, and expand our community of supporters. This position will report to the Communications Director and work alongside a high-functioning Development and Communications team. They will support our campaigns and initiatives by developing strategies and tactics with program leads, managing communications projects, and owning our digital channels. This is a hybrid position based in our Portland, Oregon headquarters, and includes travel to field sites and remote offices in Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska.
- Work with Comms Director and program leads to develop strategy and project-manage communications activities for conservation campaigns, including digital storytelling, action alerts, media outreach, and other activities in Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska.
- Collaborate with campaign leads and frontline partners on outreach strategies to build grassroots power with diverse communities around the North Pacific.
- Work with Comms Director and communications team to use a data-driven approach to develop, implement, and regularly update a digital strategy for WSC channels.
- Manage digital channels for WSC and our associated campaigns.
- 8-10 years of experience working on campaigns in conservation, politics, outdoor recreation, natural resources, or similar space.
- Demonstrated knowledge of conservation issues and trends in cause marketing and storytelling.
- Command of the latest digital marketing and online community building tools, including email advocacy, social engagement, image/DAM platforms, web content management systems, SEO, and advertising (platforms such as EveryAction, Sprout, Facebook Ads, Canto, WordPress, Google Analytics and Ads).
- Excellent project management skills.
- Experience overseeing multimedia content development, preferably with a mix of basic graphic design, photography, film, and/or web design.
- Political acumen.
- Flexibility, adaptiveness, and willingness to grow and learn new skills and competencies.
- Commitment to Wild Salmon Center’s mission.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
The pay range for this full-time position is between $80,000-$90,000 commensurate with experience.
Additionally, a comprehensive benefits package, designed to help our employees stay healthy and plan for their financial future, includes:
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance (includes employee/spouse, employee/dependent(s), as well as a partial premium for full family coverage)
- Short- and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- High-matching 401(k) plan
- Eleven paid Holidays with additional generous PTO
- Flexible Spending Account (health & dependent care)
- Support for continuing education
- Cell phone allowance & monthly stipend
- Flexible hybrid work schedule
- Outstanding work culture
Submit cover letter and CV to email@example.com and include “Communications and Outreach Manager” in the subject line. Additional supporting materials including a project portfolio with 3 – 5 samples of work are encouraged. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We are an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. We will gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance to request assistance.
Volunteer with Us
Want to make a difference in protecting some of the most beautiful and diverse ecosystems across the northern Pacific Rim? All volunteer opportunities are on hold until further notice, but check our volunteer page for future opportunities.